The World Trade Centres were designed and built before the ban on the use of asbestos containing materials in the 1970’s, therefore, asbestos was used in the construction of the buildings, particularly in the lower floors. For this reason, thousands upon thousands of civilians in New York would subsequently realise that the 9/11 attacks and asbestos cancer would be linked and deal them an earth shattering double blow. As if the impact of the attacks wasn’t bad enough to begin with, with personal and financial implications for all, the slow progress of asbestos cancer in these people would mean suffering for many more years to come, causing even more misery and pain.
Here are some disturbing facts resulting from the 9/11 disaster
- Dust, debris and smoke hovered in the air over New York for weeks to come after the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Centre.
- There were over 24 buildings that were damaged or destroyed in the attacks besides the Trade Centres themselves. And a lot of these buildings were later destroyed or repaired. The vast majority of these buildings were found to contain asbestos.
- As a result of the huge explosions and fires, a lot of the asbestos insulation and other materials was incinerated into fine powder. This was then inhaled by all the rescue workers, first aiders, office workers and residents.
- New York was covered in over 9,000 tons of debris following the 9/11 attacks, and people exposed to the asbestos debris have already began to display the symptoms of asbestos cancer.
- It is estimated that over 100,000 people were exposed to the deadly asbestos materials as a result of the dust being in the air for many weeks following the attacks.
As a consequence, it is strongly advisable that if yourself or any member of your family was a witness or victim of these terrorist attacks, it is vital to visit your doctor and get regular check ups, which include following up on any breathing difficulties you may be experiencing and getting periodic chest x-rays. With asbestos cancer linked to 9/11 terror attacks it is so important to get yourself checked out and receive treatment.