Last Updated on March 22, 2018 by Kirsty Smithson
The wife of a retired school teacher has received compensation after her husband was exposed to asbestos in school.
Brain Shaw was a former music teacher at Leicester Grammar School.
He had taught at the school for 21 years right up until 2012.
Brain died 4 years after his diagnosis.
Solicitors Slater and Gordon took on the case.
After investigation, they came to the conclusion that Mr Shaw was probably exposed to the asbestos in school following a refurb on the music room in 1985.
They believe asbestos wasn’t removed from the piping.
The couple decided to pursue a case against Leicester Grammar School Trust following Mr Shaw’s diagnosis.
They were convinced that Mr Shaw’s terminal illness was attributed to his exposure to asbestos in school.
After his death in 2015, Mrs Shaw continued to pursue the case on his behalf.
She said in an interview:-
They say the matter was simply passed onto their insurers to deal with.
Head Teacher of Leicester Grammar School, Chris King, commented:-
Published Jan 24, 2018