Last Updated on September 13, 2016 by Kirsty Smithson
Brian Hockin was removing potentially dangerous asbestos material during a gas boiler replacement at a residential property in Wrafton when he disturbed asbestos insulation.
The tenants raised their concerns with Hockin, but he continued to remove the material and stored it at his yard.
The tenants contacted HSE which prosecuted Hockin for putting himself and others at risk from asbestos fibres.
During the hearing at Barnstaple’s Magistrates Court, it was stated that Hockin used no safety measures to prevent the spread of asbestos – he used no protective clothing or breathing equipment.
Brian Hockin of Bickington near Barnstaple, pleaded guilty of breaching section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £450 and ordered to pay £921.40 in costs.
Duty holders and employers have a legal responsibility to manage asbestos in their building so as not to put employees at risk. Contact our Armco office for asbestos management and refurbishment/ demolition surveys on 0161 763 3727 or by visiting https://www.armco.org.uk/.
Alternatively, to book onto one of our asbestos training courses, please call 0161 761 4424 or visit https://www.armcoasbestostraining.co.uk/
[ap-twitter-feed]Published Sep 13, 2016