Last Updated on September 12, 2016 by Kirsty Smithson
The case against the Bolton nightclub owners who breached health and safety in regards to asbestos has been adjourned until next month.
The nightclub formerly known as J2 in Mawdsley Street, Bolton, reopened last summer after an extensive refurbishment programme, and the name was changed to ‘Level’.
The company who ran the nightclub, UK Night Life Ltd, and the Director at the time, Charles McGrath, were both prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive.
Each party neglected to ensure that individuals were not exposed to health and safety risks between the period of 1st August and 12th August 2015. They also subsequently agreed to having failed to prevent the spread of asbestos or managing it in any way. The Nightclub owners are also accused of failing to carry out an assessment identifying any asbestos risks.
The case has been adjourned by Bury Magistrates’ Court until 3rd October 2016, where sentencing will be carried out by a district judge at Salford Magistrates’ Court.
Mr McGrath voiced that customers of the nightclub shouldn’t be worried about exposure to asbestos and should attend as normal. He says that the only threat posed was when the nightclub was closed and being refurbished last year.
health_and_safety_breaches_at_Bolton_nightclub/ by Ian Proctor
Duty holders and employers have a legal responsibility to manage asbestos in their building so as not to put employees at risk. Contact our Armco office for asbestos management and refurbishment/ demolition surveys on 0161 763 3727 or by visiting https://www.armco.org.uk/.
Alternatively, to book onto one of our asbestos training courses, please call 0161 761 4424 or visit https://www.armcoasbestostraining.co.uk/
[ap-twitter-feed]Published Sep 12, 2016