Mum dying from terminal asbestos cancer appeals for help

Terminal asbestos cancer victim inhaled asbestos fibers due to washing husband’s work clothes

Elizabeth Tookey from Plymouth was diagnosed with terminal asbestos cancer, mesothelioma, in February 2017.

She had been suffering with breathlessness for some period of time.

Mrs Tookey learned that she was most likely exposed to asbestos fibers through washing her husband’s work clothes.

As such, she is now appealing to her late husband’s colleagues for help in establishing the working practices at the time.

Herbert Tookey sadly passed away in 1997.

He worked as a carpenter at Dudley Coles in Plymouth from 1965 to 1967.

Elizabeth says that he would come home completely covered in dust.

She washed his work clothes every single day and believes this is how she was exposed to the asbestos fibers.

The family moved over to Australia in 1967, but they returned to the UK in 1973.

Terminal asbestos cancer victim inhaled asbestos fibers due to washing husband's work clothes - Herbert Tookey worked as a carpenter at Dudley Coles

Elizabeth speaks about her terminal asbestos cancer illness

Elizabeth said of her terminal illness, “The whole family are absolutely devastated at the shock of my diagnosis.”

“I had been feeling very breathless for a while and was admitted to hospital for a CT scan. This showed there was fluid on my lungs which was removed and tested and revealed that I was in fact, suffering from mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs caused by exposure to asbestos.”

“During my husband’s employment with Dudley Coles, I remember him working on Council properties within Plymouth and coming home every day completely covered in dust. I had to wash his work clothes constantly to get rid of all the dust.”

“Before my diagnosis, I was very independent and enjoyed getting out and about in my car. Unfortunately, my illness now means that I have become very reliant on friends and family.”

Mrs Tookey has requested the assistance of a specialist asbestos solicitor to help investigate how she was exposed to asbestos dust.

Andrew Walker from Novum Law explained, “Mary and her family are understandably very shocked and upset at the diagnosis of her asbestos-related disease.”

“Mesothelioma is a dreadful illness which causes significant suffering for its victims and their families. Thousands of people die each year as a result of just going about their everyday lives and working to make a living.

“We are appealing to anyone who worked at Dudley Coles between 1965 and 1967 who can provide any information about the presence of asbestos and working practices during that period of time.”

“If anyone has information on the working conditions I would ask them to get in touch by calling me on: 01752 964686 or by emailing me at: awalker@novumlaw.com. You can also get in touch via our website at www.novumlaw.com

 

Source of article:-  www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/health/mum-dying-washing-husbands-toxic-1279417

 

Whether you need an asbestos management survey, or a refurbishment/ demolition survey, contact us on 0161 763 3727 or by visiting https://www.armco.org.uk/

Finally, for all your asbestos training needs call 0161 761 4424 or visit https://www.armcoasbestostraining.co.uk/to book an asbestos awareness training course.

 

Latest News...
Share me
Published Mar 27, 2018
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages
Filter by Categories
asbestos-training-news
Get in touch